CrossTown (Book: Loren W. Cooper)

 This book was in one of the boxes sent to me by the library, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. The cover didn't appeal (it reminded me of a book I borrowed and didn't read once before, by the author of The Book Thief) and it was a detective story, which is not my favourite. It was set in a fantasy world though, one with parallel universes and ways between them, and I'd been coming across that concept a lot lately so decided to give it a go. There was an introduction that talked to reader about them potentially having doubt about whether to read the book, but that it would definitely be worth it - so that seemed to be talking to me! 

I kind of liked it - I was never fully sure whether I was enjoying it or not. The parallel world concept and the way sorcerers operated was pretty cool - and there were Fae (fairies) which I always like. But the world was pretty confusing and I wasn't entirely sure how things worked through most of it. The main character was not quite likeable even though it was written in the 1st person. He did have some redeeming moments though and did grow throughout the book. The introduction had talked of the life lessons we could all take from the journey within the book - I didn't get any insights into life from it, and the answer to the mystery (which I kept reading to find out) wasn't really satisfying. So it was OK, and someone who likes a more technical fantasy world might really enjoy it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wheel of Time (Book 1 - Robert Jordan)

It's Kind of a Funny Story (Movie)

The Hunters (Book - Kat Gordon)