The Henna Artist (Book - Alka Joshi)

 Quite enjoyable - fairly simply written but touched on some deep issues.  It was also stressful at times, I was quite worried as to how the main character was going to recover from some of the setbacks she encountered. I used to read a lot of books set in India, it was nice to return to the culture - I don't remember reading any set in the 1950s as this was. It gave an insight into a time I know less about, and I loved the glimpse into Indian life, especially from a woman's point of view. It showed how life is so different for women depending on their wealth, caste and status, and how standards of behaviour were so vastly different for men and women.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wheel of Time (Book 1 - Robert Jordan)

It's Kind of a Funny Story (Movie)

The Hunters (Book - Kat Gordon)